Monday, October 22, 2012

Nursing Fun Facts

While precepting a new nursing school graduate today I was reminded of the most worthless part of nursing school: The Nursing Diagnosis. Unlike a medical diagnosis which is actually based on objective reality, the nursing diagnosis is some fluffy nonsense created by some organization that really believes they are actually doing something useful. Unlike a medical diagnosis of "diabetes" or "congestive heart failure", nursing diagnoses include such gems as "Disuse Syndrome, Risk for"; "Diversional Activity, Deficient"; "Energy Field, Disturbed"; "Environmental Interpretation Syndrome, Impaired". Yes, these are actual things never used by real life nurses. Below I found a picture of what a disturbed energy field may look like:
As a matter of principle, I refuse to engage in this aspect of nursing. I vow to never, ever, ever waste my time looking for approved nursing diagnoses to include in my patient's chart. Something else I vow never to do: grade poop.
Someone spent a lot of time on this chart. And probably never ate sausage again.

No comments: